CHRIS KELLY St. John Vianney’s Joe Lugara tries diving over a Red Bank Regional defender to score a last-second touchdown during the Lancers’ 34-6 loss to the Bucs’ on Saturday.
Sports Shorts The following are the standings for the Monmouth Women’s Basketball League, as of Jan. 5: Chubby’s Bar 14- 1 Brannigan’s 11- 4 Huddy’s Inn/Brock Farms 10 – 5 The Globe Hotel 9 – 6 The Red Zone 8 – 7 The Sistas 5 – 10 Atlantic XFMR 3 – 12 White Lightning 1- 14 The Middletown Youth Athletic Association Little League will hold its last in-person registrations for spring baseball and softball Jan. 10, 17, 24 and 31, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the MYAA Field House in Bodman Park. Players interested in Little League tryouts (Major League Division — ages 10, 11, 12) must be registered in January. Tryouts will be held on Feb. 22 and 29 in the Middletown South gym 12:30-6 p.m. For more information, call (732) 747-2410, visit www.eteamz.com/middletownll or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. The U12 Monmouth Maniacs girls fastpitch softball team is looking for several players to complete its 2004 roster. Contact Jim at (732) 446-6919 or e-mail email@example.com. The Matawan-Aberdeen Babe Ruth League will be holding its annual baseball registration for ages 5-15 during the month of January at the Toomer Field clubhouse on Middlesex Road on Saturdays, Jan. 10 and 17, from 10 a.m.-noon, and Jan. 24 from 9 a.m.-noon. Registration will also be held on Wednesdays, Jan. 14 and 21, from 7 p.m.-9 p.m. All first-time players need to submit a copy of their birth certificates. read more
An emotional and apologetic Sam Allardyce said on Wednesday an error of judgement had led to his shock exit as England manager following a newspaper sting.The 61-year-old was compelled to leave on Tuesday for seeking a lucrative sideline role while talking to undercover reporters from Britain’s Daily Telegraph.The paper said it had hundreds of pages of transcripts from the meeting in which Allardyce was negotiating a deal worth 400,000 pounds ($520,840) to represent a Far East firm seeking advice on the transfer market.Allardyce said it had been a “silly thing” to do but he had been trying to help out someone he had known for 30 years.“Unfortunately it was an error in judgment on my behalf. I have paid the consequences,” a clearly emotional Allardyce told reporters outside his home in northern England.“Entrapment has won on this occasion and I have to accept that. I’ve apologised to (the Football Association) and all concerned.”Earlier he issued a statement in which he offered a “wholehearted apology” to the Football Association (FA) for embarrassing the governing body.“It was a great honour for me to be appointed back in July and I am deeply disappointed at this outcome,” Allardyce, who replaced Roy Hodgson after England’s dismal Euro 2016 campaign.The former centre half who built his managerial reputation by getting the best out of unfashionable or struggling clubs met FA chairman Greg Clarke and chief executive Martin Glenn and offered a “sincere and wholehearted apology” for his actions.“Although it was made clear during the recorded conversations that any proposed arrangements would need the FA’s full approval, I recognise I made some comments which have caused embarrassment,” he said in his statement.“…I was asked to clarify what I said and the context in which the conversations took place. I have co-operated fully in this regard.“I also regret my comments with regard to other individuals,” he added.Allardyce won his only game in charge of England, a World Cup qualifier in Slovakia earlier this month, by 1-0. He will be replaced by under-21 coach Gareth Southgate for the next four matches as the FA searches for a successor.He told reporters on Wednesday he could say no more about the sacking as he had a confidentiality agreement with the FA and was going abroad.“I’m going to go away and reflect on it. I’d like to wish all the England lads, Gareth, and the staff all the very best,” he said.When asked if this was his last soccer job, he replied: “Who knows. We’ll wait and see.” read more
Two Relegation Group games take place today in the Cyprus Football Championship featuring teams that, given their current league standings, will remain in the top flight for next season as well.Group leaders Ermis Aradippou take on second-placed Nea Salamina while the second game involves the next two teams in the table, Ethnikos Achnas and Aris.Saturday: Ermis Aradippou vs Nea Salamina (17.00), Ethnikos Achnas vs Aris (19.00)
E. R. BraithwaiteAs it was in the novel, ‘To Sir With Love’ (1959), so it was in the novels, ‘Paid Servant’ (1962), ‘A Kind of Homecoming’ (1962), ‘A Choice of Straws’ (1965), ‘Reluctant Neighbours’ (1972), and ‘Honorary White’ (1975) – E. R. Braithwaite’s poignant exploration of all forms of discrimination especially social conditions of and racial discrimination against Black people. Braithwaite’s frank and crisp use of language endeared the reader to the issues, catapulting many persons to action, improving their condition, righting wrongs. Some responses to his writing were, however, distasteful especially the ban of his books in apartheid South Africa. Dennis WilliamsDenis WilliamsArtist, art historian, archaeologist, anthropologist, biographer and novelist, Denis Williams was born in 1923 in the capital city of Guyana. He lived on three continents at crucial times – times of intellectual upsurge, times of political ferment and times of creativity in arts. Williams was caught up in the action wherever he went, sharpening his perception of the living and the past as reflected in the innovations found in his art, craft and writing – ‘Other Leopards’ and ‘The Third temptation’. Responses to this author please telephone 226-0065 of email: firstname.lastname@example.org (to be continued) Eric WalrondEric WalrondEric Walrond was expected to write the Great Negro Book – a grave responsibility. How come a black person in the early 20th century from a little known country was strapped with such a responsibility? Walrond’s life was one of paradoxes engendered by his writings. He gravitated to the editorship of ‘New World’ after he won a fiction contest sponsored by Marcus Garvey’s Universal Negro Improvement Association (U. N. I. A.) for his piece, ‘A Senator’s Memoirs’. Later he fell from grace when he penned, ‘Imperator Africanus, Marcus Garvey: Menace or Promise?’But it was the publication in 1926 of his short story collection, ‘Tropic Death’, which brought him to prominence. ‘Tropic Death’ was valued alongside ‘The Quest of the Silver Fleece’ by W. E. B. Du Bois, ‘The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man’ by James W. Johnson and ‘Harlem Shadow’ by Claude McKay. The other notable writers at that time supporting the Harlem Resistance included Marcus Garvey, Claude McKay, Langston Hughes, Arna Bontemps, Zora Neale Hurston, W. E. B. Du Bois. (Part one featured Ivan Van Sertima, N. E. Cameron, Jan Carew, O. R. Dathorne and Beryl Gilroy. Part two features another five names.)There are as many ways to celebrate as there are appropriate ways to celebrate. The tenor of Black History Month should be celebrated with books. Here’s a short (but in no way a comprehensive) list of Guyanese works and their authors which could be used to commemorate the above.Egbert MartinEgbert Martin was a remarkable writer on many fronts. His was a short life of less than thirty years, most of it lived from a sick bed, but he managed to write and publish a significant amount of poetry, songs and some short stories.His first poems were published when he was only nineteen. His first collection of poems, Leo’s Poetical Works, was published in 1883, when he was only twenty two.His second collection of poems, Leo’s Local Lyrics, was published in 1886, laying claim to the honour as the first collection of poems to be published locally by a Guyanese writer. Another first for Martin was that he was the first Guyanese to publish a collection of short stories. That collection, Scriptology, was published in 1885. That collection was lost but recently recovered, credit going to Manu Chander who is in Guyana at the moment and David Dabydeen.Walter MacArthur LawrenceHe gave us ‘Oh, Beautiful Guyana’, and ‘My Guyana, El Dorado’ among other significant patriotic songs. In 1920, the Daily Chronicle published his first poem, commemorating the arrival in the colony of H. R. H. the Prince of Wales.In 1929, he published ‘Meditations’ with a subtitle ‘Thoughts in the Silence’, solidifying his position on the landscape of Guyanese literature.Two years later, in 1931, Lawrence produced ‘Threnody’, a song of lamentation for his dead son, exploring trauma as part of his heritage – a healing poem. The following year, 1932, his ‘delightfully nostalgic’ poem ‘Unreclaimed’ was published in the Chronicle Christmas Annual.The 1930s was definitely the most notable of Lawrence’s short life. During this period, his poetic output was remarkable – long sentences and very long poems in Greek and Latin traditions, examples in titles of poems like ‘Threnody’, and ‘Meromi’. In ‘Meromi’, Lawrence displayed an uncommon gift of telling a story in verse, matching Keats’ ‘Isabella’, Tennyson’s ‘Princess’ and Egbert Martin’s ‘Ruth’. Also in ‘Meromi’, he employed a technique that has become quite useful in Caribbean poetry – borrowing and modifying; he transposed a local heroine into the Garden of Eden. read more
Tyson English, former Physical Education Instructor at the Bishops’ High School, is pleading with the Education Ministry to “walk the talk” as he seeks legal advice regarding his predicament.He has not been paid a salary for the last six months, and now assumes he has been dismissed following his staging of a one-man protest outside of the school last Friday.Tyson EnglishThe PE instructor was, in January this year, appointed a part-time teacher tasked with teaching all five levels at the school (Forms 1-5). He reportedly has not received any salary or financial compensation for his services within the first term.“I was told by the principal that the system, or the process that was holding up the salaries, was because there was a switch or changeover in permanent secretaries within the ministry,” English explained.He pointed out that even though he understands there is an ever prolonging procedure, he still has to be compensated for his teaching services.“If I work or teach, I expect to be paid. I can’t turn up at the ministry or at the school and request payment, unless I would’ve carried out my duties,” English told this publication on Monday.The teacher alleged that at the beginning of the second term, he approached the principal, and upon making checks, it was discovered that his documents had been misplaced. It finally was decided that a contract was going to be prepared by the school’s board to validate his employment, leading him to believe that his problem was being rectified.For a second time, he was instructed to sign documents that were identical to those he had signed when he commenced teaching at the school, but he complied with the request. Having received no substantial feedback after some time had elapsed, he reportedly lodged numerous complaints regarding his non-payment with the school board and the Education Ministry. However, he still received little consolation.Frustrated at the prolonged delay in getting a response, the teacher resorted to staging a one-man protest in front of the school, and allegedly was thereafter denied access to the school’s premises. He reportedly was even instructed to remove his belongings from the school.“During my protest, I was informed by the deputy principal that she was instructed by the principal to have me remove all my belongings from the staff room, and I am no longer allowed access to the compound; so the security guards were also instructed to deny me access to the compound,” the teacher explained.While stating that the school had made no provision for locker rooms, he declared that he refused to change in “toilets”, thus being the reason why he was attired in “track pants and t-shirt”. He likened the scenario to that of an agriculture teacher going to the farm, who would have to be “dressed for it”.English is urging teachers who may be confronting similar situations to rise up and fight for what is fair and just, without fear of being victimized. He highlighted that the three months’ probationary period has been done away with, thus teachers are eligible to receive their salaries by the first month upon entering the teaching profession.The exasperated instructor says he has had to struggle to support himself and maintain his family during this period of non-payment.“It would be foolish of me to say that I have been living from paycheck to paycheck, because in six months I haven’t seen a single pay(check). So, basically, with the support of my family, I’ve been able to get by; and it is ridiculous to know that I have been working and I have to be depending on the support of my family to pay bills and offset other expenses,” he explained.Meanwhile, this teacher is pleading with the Education Ministry to pay more heed to the welfare of teachers, who are vital dispensers of knowledge to the leaders of tomorrow. “Recently, they would have invested millions in the commission of inquiry (CoI) in the education system, and I would like to believe that one of the things that they found was teachers being paid on time or properly compensated for their work to be a part of that package,” he stated.Principal of Bishops’ High, Winifred Ellis, has refuted the claims made by English, contending that he had stopped teaching since May 25, and was asked to remove his belongings as he no longer taught there.Moreover, she affirmed that English has not served any formal notice of resignation to the school since his departure, while adding that the school’s board is not responsible for the payment of teachers; this responsibility being solely vested in the Education Ministry. read more
The student chosen has not only excelled in academic achievement but has contributed in a meaningful way to life at the College or in the community. In 2011, Lines achieved a great deal of success representing NLC in Skills Canada competitions at the provincial and national levels. He captured the gold medal at the Skills Canada provincial championships in Abbotsford, and followed that by winning the silver medal at the national championships in Quebec City. In preparation for the competition, Lines put in extra time after school two or three days a week. As well, Lines was very active helping other students within the AME program. – Advertisement -Lines was active within the college community. He volunteered with student council, and worked as a residence assistant in the Dawson Creek Residence. The announcement was made during Convocation ceremonies on June 15. read more
Harry Redknapp joined Adrian Durham and Matt Holland in the studio for a special edition of Drivetime. The former Tottenham, West Ham and Queens Park Rangers manager spoke about QPR’s chances of Premier League survival, Gareth Bale, Harry Kane, England and much, much more.
Tony Cottee claims Everton face a battle to ensure Romelu Lukaku remains at Goodison Park – despite the striker signing a new contract.Lukaku will become the Toffees’ highest-ever earner after finalising terms on a new five-year deal worth around £110,000-a-week.But Cottee insists that offers no guarantees over the 23-year-old’s long-term future.Recent reports have claimed Lukaku’s new contract includes a clause which would allow him to join one of Europe’s elite clubs, and Cottee has warned the Belgian will look to move on if Everton don’t start competing for major honours.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the former Everton striker said: “The bottom line for any football club is you need to win trophies or be playing in the Champions League if you want to keep your top players.“Lukaku will be signing that new deal on the basis that, ‘come on, next season we are going to have a real go at this and we have got to either win a trophy or get in the Champions League’, because if you don’t players will look to go elsewhere.“He is 23 now Lukaku – you forget how young he is – and he will be saying ‘hold on a sec, I am coming up to the prime of my career, I can’t not be playing in Europe, I need to play in the Champions League’.“That is the challenge for Everton.” read more
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhy these photogenic dumplings are popping up in Los AngelesThe current president doesn’t love the family’s coastal getaway quite as much as his parents do, preferring his dusty Texas ranch. This was his first trip to Kennebunkport in two years. It was a family wedding that drew him in August 2004, and it is so again. This time, the nuptials are for Walker Stapleton, the son of the former president’s cousin Dorothy Walker Stapleton and Craig Roberts Stapleton, the U.S. ambassador to France. KENNEBUNKPORT, Maine – President George W. Bush went fishing Thursday off the rocky coast of Maine where his great-grandfather built an oceanfront estate that has become entwined with American presidential history. Beginning a long family weekend, Bush first met privately at a local elementary school with the families of five soldiers killed in Iraq, Afghanistan and at the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001. Then he settled in at the family compound, more than 100 years old, at Walker’s Point, a craggy finger of rock that juts into the ocean. His father, former President George H.W. Bush, has summered there – except while serving as a World War II Navy aviator – since he was a boy visiting his maternal grandfather, George Herbert Walker, for whom he was named. George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara, are well liked in Kennebunkport, whose citizens have helpfully forgotten the traffic jams that accompanied the former president’s visits when he was the nation’s leader. Soon after arriving, the current president and daughter Jenna went fishing with his father. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! read more